Ryan gets sick, details omitted

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 4 - Cusco

Yes, it's still day 4, but now it's nighttime. Not surprisingly there is no interesting footage of my afternoon in bed, battling altitude sickness. Figuring that as a young healthy buck I would be less prone to such nonsense, I was pretty disappointed.

We were advised to be in Cusco 2 days before the trek began (it begins on Day 6, and we arrived here on Day 3) to allow time for adjusting to the altitude. Symptoms of altitude sickness include: headaches, nausea, fever, diarrhea & vomiting (which lead to dehydration), lethargy, loss of appetite, etc. Which of those affected me is not important, nor is why I know those symptoms off the top of my head, and not any of the others.

After sending Janet out into the wild on her own (scary since she basically only knows "agua", "gracias" and the numbers 1-6 & 8), she graciously entertained me by the fire in the dining area.



After eating nothing but a lone (but tasty) tangerine all day, it seemed like I should probably try to eat something. The restaurant Chez Maggie (of which there are at least two on this block) would be our evening meal and source of entertainment:



The artistically illuminated Plaza de Armas at night:



And finally, what goes down, must come up:



Local protests? Stomach protests? Tomorrow has to be better, right?

0 comments: