Machu Picchu

Monday, September 22, 2008

Day 9: Machu Picchu

For the most part, I am going to back off and let the videos do the talking.

After waiting in a line of hundreds down in Aguas Calientes at 5 am-ish, we snagged a spot on the 5th bus headed up the long switch-backing road to the entrance. Once there, it felt like a mob scene. Hundreds of people packed into a very tight space, all trying to be the first into Machu Picchu when it opened.

The sun began to rise, the opened the gates, and off we went...as if chasing the white rabbit of unspoiled views first thing in the morning.



Janet shows off my fleece, which will only grow larger as our trip goes on. On more than one occasion, I am forced to pull my entire body inside it, huddling for warmth in the fetal position.



It was easy to let your gaze wander off into the surrounding mountain peaks, and down long ancient corridors, so I don't have much to say about Edgar #1's tour. I immediately knew I wouldn't retain anything he said, so I instead spent my time memorizing the experience.

A small number of stamps (400) are given away each day for the side hike to Wayna Picchu, which I did on my own. The rest of the group had already left (yes, they spent around 2 hours at Machu Picchu, and then headed back down early to wait for their afternoon trains), and Janet was not excited to make it a 4th consecutive day of strenuous hiking.

I practically ran up the steep trail, hoping for a nice workout, and wanting to return to Janet in record time, who would spend this time pining and writing love poetry in my absence. Look for her upcoming memoir So I Married a Billy Goat.

Near the top, the path leads you through a narrow corridor of rocks:



Here is my monologue from the top...I'll let the views speak for themselves. The giant city of Machu Picchu looks tiny from the top.



The trail was steep. Seemed more dangerous coming down...



For the most part, there were hoardes of people spread out around the grounds. Still, it is large enough that I was able to sneak this serene panorama in the middle of the day.



One final shot, the Machu Picchu money shot...an angle that you'll recognize if you have seen pictures of it before.


1 comments:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is good good good......